Friday, April 11, 2008

Web Office Tools Are the Future

Yes, web office tools are the future--much more user friendly and portable than sending around attachments by email.

An example: Word 2007 is not compatible with older versions of Word, unless the user is savvy enough to download a "compatibility pack" (and, if they're on a work computer, they would need administrative rights to do this.) Alternatively, the sender has to know to make the attachment backward compatible. These are substantial barriers.

With all that said, habits die hard. When I start writing an essay, I automatically open a Word doc (just like I'm still pre-disposed to bookmark a web site on my own computer rather than tagging it in del.icio.us). But in the next few years, I anticipate a "sea change" towards more user-friendly Web office tools.

No comments: