Thursday, April 3, 2008

Social Bookmarking on del.icio.us

I think del.icio.us is an amazing tool that has great application in libraries.

The obvious benefit is building a set of bookmarks that can be accessed from anywhere. Since my formative Internet years were in the "bookmark only on one computer" era, I'm still predisposed to do that type of bookmarking. That's not "wrong," just more limited. So recently, whenever I stop to bookmark I make a point of tagging it in del.icio.us instead. Our reference group at the library also has a shared del.icio.us account, which is a great way to share resources.

There are endless opportunities for research assistance with del.icio.us. We can show patrons what it is and send them on their merry tagging way; we could build del.icio.us tools that automatically propagate new sites that match pre-defined tags, and deliver the new sites via RSS tools; we could have a del.icio.us stream like on OMG Tuna is Kewl. The sky is the limit!

No comments: